Welfare and Financial Guardianships and Powers of Attorney

We have vast experience of advising clients in respect of guardianship applications. Please contact us to arrange an informal discussion about how we can help.


We act in welfare and financial guardianships in Kirkcaldy and throughout Fife and Scotland. We provide a sensitive and professional approach and we always look to explore whether guardianships in Kirkcaldy and Fife can be progressed by Legal Aid.


More information on guardianships can be obtained from the official website of the Office of the Public Guardian:



Andrew McLaughlin is appointed as Curator ad Litem to the Mental Health Tribunal for Scotland demonstrating Andrew's commitment to the specialist area of incapacity law.


Can I get Civil Legal Aid for my Welfare and or Financial Guardianship Application?


Yes, and it is available for everyone regardless of how much money they have in the bank. In our experience, many solicitors do not advertise this. We always look to obtain Legal Aid funding to allow family members and carers to obtain welfare and financial guardianship applications. There may be a small cost in applying for Civil Legal Aid itself.


What's involved in getting a Guardianship order granted?


We are experts in sorting out guardianships and this area of law has always been one of the backbones of our practice. Once we obtain Legal Aid for you we will ingather the necessary reports which we need. We need to get two reports from doctors which confirm that the "Adult" has an incapacity and that this is likely to be lifelong. We also need to get a report from a Mental Health Officer. Mental Health Officers are employed by the local authority and provide a report on your suitability as being appointed as guardian.


Once we have these reports we draft up the court papers and send it all to Court. We then get the papers back from Court with the date of the hearing. Before then we have to serve the Court papers on various government bodies and on interested parties in the Adult's life. Provided no one objects then we have a great record of having the guardianship order granted at the first hearing without any need for further delays. If there are objections we have the skills and experience required to successfully argue your case before the Sheriff.



What sort of situation requires a welfare or financial guardianship?


Normally our clients either have elderly relatives who have a diagnosis of dementia or other cognitive impairment or children with autism of learning disabilities who are approaching 16. In each case we look to ensure that the Guardian will have all the legal powers that they need to look after their loved one's affairs. Once your child becomes 16 you are not automatically able to make decisions for them and so guardianships are often required to ensure that parents of those with learning disabilities are able to have the legal authorisation to act on their behalf.



How is Guardianship different from Power of Attorney?


The main difference is that a Power of Attorney is a document granted by a person when they are of sound mind. The document states how they would like their affairs to be managed should they lose the capacity to make those decisions for themselves. A guardianship application is required when the person has lost the capacity to make decisions and so is unable to grant a Power of Attorney.



Further information can be found at www.publicguardian-scotland.gov.uk/


Kirkcaldy Office

McLaughlin & Co

Evans Business Centre

1 Begg Road

John Smith Business Park



LP-19 Kirkcaldy


Tel:   01592 645 772

Fax:  01592 807 067




Leven Office

McLaughlin & Co

Fife Renewables Innovation Centre

Ajax Way




LP-19 Kirkcaldy


Tel:   01333 424482

Fax:  01592 807 067



Open Saturdays, evening appointments available.

Print Print | Sitemap
© McLaughlin and Co, Solicitors and Notaries